Perks have been an essential part of the Call of Duty experience since the original Modern Warfare in 2007, and there’s no exception for the franchise’s recent addition, Modern Warfare 2.
Developed by Infinity Ward, Modern Warfare 2 builds on the story of the 2019 mega-hit, bringing back iconic characters and familiar yet redefined gameplay. With fast-paced action up close, the title offers the all-too-familiar yet tactical Call of Duty experience.
Perks are best described as equippable bonuses that offer players certain benefits based on their play style, and have been modified and refined over the years.
All the perks in Modern Warfare 2
Infinity Ward has the perk system in Modern Warfare 2. Instead of three being activated from the start, players start with two basic variants, along with a bonus and an ultimate option, which are activated as the match progresses.
After level 4, players can personalize their perks pack in the gunsmith, allowing them to equip different variants and get a good outsource.
All the basic perks in Modern Warfare 2
Players start a match in Modern Warfare 2 with the basic benefits activated. Each benefit package consists of two basic variants, which are as follows:
- overkill – Equip two primary weapons in the player’s gear.
- Double time – Double the duration of the player’s tactical sprint. Increases squatting speed by 30%.
- Battle hardened – Reduces the effects of Flash, Stun, EMP, Gas Grenades and Shock Sticks. It also grants immunity to Snapshot Grenades.
- scavenger – Allows the player to resupply ammunition and throw knives from dead players.
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Service – Take less damage from non-Killstreak explosives. If the player picks up a live grenade, the fuse timer is reset.
- Follower – Enemy death markers are visible to the player and he can see enemy footprints. The player’s kill markers are also hidden from the opponent’s team.
- strong arm – Allows the player to throw equipment further than usual and preview the equipment trajectory.
- Extra tactical – Spawn with an extra Tactical in the player’s inventory.
All bonus benefits in Modern Warfare 2
Bonus perks are activated four minutes after the start of a match and players can equip one in the perks pack. The available selections are as follows:
- resupply – Spawn with an extra Lethal in the player’s inventory. All the equipment you have will be charged in 25 seconds.
- mocker – The player can see enemy equipment, field upgrades, and killstreaks through walls. Handy against C4. If the player aims at the sights, they will be marked for the team. It also allows the player to hack into enemy Claymores, Proximity Mines, C4s and Trophy Systems.
- Coldblooded – Make the player become undetectable by AI targeting systems and enemy thermal optics. No High Alert warning is triggered. It also keeps the player from being flagged in enemy Tactical Cameras, Recon Drones, and Spotter Scopes.
- Fast hands – This allows the player to reload faster, use his equipment and switch weapons.
- hard line – Reduces the cost of each Killstreak by one elimination. Reduces the cost of a Scorestreak by 125.
- Focus – Reduces recoil when aiming the sights downwards and extends hold breath duration. Great for snipers.
All the ultimate perks in Modern Warfare 2
Ultimate perks are activated after a match has been going on for eight minutes. Players can only equip one ultimate perk at a time, and the list of available options is as follows:
- Major alarm – The player’s vision pulses when spotted by an out-of-sight enemy player.
- Spirit – Players become undetectable by UAVs, portable radars and heart rate sensors.
- Quick solution – It allows the player to regain health by eliminating enemy players. When the player captures or holds targets, his health regeneration increases.
- overclocking – Allows players to store an additional field upgrade fee in their inventory and increases the field upgrade fee by 40%. When the player first earns this ultimate advantage, his field upgrade will be charged.
- Survivor – When eliminated, players go to Last Stand just before death and have the option to revive themselves once per life. Teammates can also revive downed players faster.
- bird’s eye view – The mini-map zooms out to show more of the area. UAV and radar pings will also reveal the direction of the enemy. When the player first earns this Ultimate Perk, he will trigger a UAV sweep.
What is a benefit package and how to equip it?
Additional packages are a new addition to Modern Warfare 2 and are part of the equipment. With the new system, each pack consists of four perks, two of which are basic variants and the other two are bonus and ultimate perks.
The basic perks are activated as soon as the match starts, while the bonus and ultimate options come into play as the match progresses. Players start Modern Warfare 2 with pre-made perk packs that they can equip from the weapons menu; once they reach level four, they unlock the ability to customize the roster. The default list is as follows:
- Raid: Overkill, scavenger, fast hands, hard line
- phantom: Battle Hardened, Double Time, Cold Blooded, Ghost
- Hunter: Strong arm, tracker, spotter, overclocking
- dead eye: Overkill, strong arm, quick fix, high warning
- Support: EOD, Battle Hardened, Resupply, Survivor
- sniper: Double time, extra tactical, focus, bird’s eye view
To create a new perk pack, just go to the weapons menu, select a loadout, then the perks. There you can choose between a pre-made set list or create a custom selection according to your playing style.
Modern Warfare 2 is available on Xbox OneXbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and Windows PC via Steam and Battle.net. Players can join today and try out the game.