Paldea is the newest region in the Pokemon franchise. It is the central location of the Scarlet and Violet titles for the Nintendo Switch.
Based on the real Iberian Peninsula that encompasses modern-day Spain and Portugal, Paldea’s landmarks are also based on culinary terminology.
As Trainers explore Paldea in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, they’re likely to pick up more than a few bits of dialogue about how the region came to be.
Players may have heard about the Paldean Empire or the rise of the Great Crater, but there’s much more to the region’s history. The information may not be as in-depth as that of other regions right now, but it’s definitely worth checking out.
Trainers can take Paldea history lessons while playing Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
Much of Paldea’s history is not well documented, but much of it begins around the time of the Large crater of Paldeas appearance. Since its appearance, the crater has been a central part of the region for about a million years. It has even survived the rise and fall of an empire.
Thanks to the history lessons that trainers can take The gameplay of Scarlet and Violetthe community has a rough idea of how events played out leading up to the games’ events.
The historical timeline of the Paldea region, according to Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
- 1,000,000 years BG (before Games) – The large crater of Paldea emerges, and many of the Paldea region shapes around it.
- 2000 years BC – The Paldean Empire begins its rule over much of the region. The Emperor issues a recon order to find the treasure said to be hidden in the Great Crater, which would be known as Area Zero later in the game.
- 1000 years BC – Due to the cost and weight of conducting several failed expeditions to the Great Crater, the Paldean Empire is falling into disrepair. Modern times are beginning to take shape across the region.
- 805 years BG – Mesagoza City establishes the Naranja/Uva Academy for aspiring Pokemon scholars. Historically, depending on the version of the game you’re playing, Mesagoza founded one of two academies. Naranja appears in Scarlet, while Uva appears in Violet.
- 800 years BC – In an effort to usher in the modern era of humans and Pokemon, the Paldean Empire joins forces with its neighbors in the region. The emperor’s authority diminishes over time until contemporary Paldese culture gains a foothold.
- 200 years GB – An Area Zero expedition led by a scientist named Heath is said to have reached the bottom of the Great Crater. Heath documents the expedition’s ventures in the Scarlet/Violet Book, but the team’s exploits are largely discredited by the academic community. The expedition finds Herba Mystica’s monsters and plants them in five different regions of Paldea, leading to the growth of Titan Pokemon species.
- 140 years GB – Terastallized Pokemon were first discovered and observed in Area Zero.
- 87 years GB – A research station was set up in Area Zero to further analyze its secrets.
- 10 years GB – Professor Sada/Turo determines that the Terastal energy phenomenon comes from crystals found in Area Zero. As a result, Tera Orbs have been developed, allowing Trainers and Researchers to Terastallize different species. The orbs will be delivered to the academy in Mesagoza and the Pokemon League of Paldea.
- 1.5 years BG – Nemona becomes the youngest trainer to reach champion rank in Paldea’s league. Team Star, led by Penny, stands up to their academy bullies. Principal Harrington resigns, along with the rest of the academy’s staff. Penny returns to Galar to continue her studies, leaving the rest of Team Star to dismiss the academy’s classes and await their leader’s return, antagonizing the academy and its students.
- 1.5 Year BG (Continued) – Clavell and Jacq quit their jobs as researchers to become director and biology teacher of the academy respectively. Tyme retires as Montenevera’s gym leader and is replaced by her sister Ryme, changing the gym’s favorite elemental type from Rock to Ghost-type. Tyme becomes the math teacher at the academy.
A year and a half after the end of the established Paldean timeline, the the player’s journey begins throughout the region. They awaken to another day as academy students and embark on the region-wide treasure hunt.
Along the way, the trainer will make friends with both humans and Pokemon, battle terrifying gym leaders, collect the Herba Mystica, and turn the tide against Team Star. Eventually, they will descend into the depths of Area Zero themselves and uncover its mysteries with their own eyes.